National Water Vole Monitoring Scheme: Anyone Can Take Part

The National Water Vole Monitoring Programme is open to anyone to take part.

It’s organised by the People’s Trust for Endangered Species (PTES) and their website is where you can find out all about it and get yourself registered as a surveyor.

No experience needed

Becoming a surveyor is really easy – anyone can do it and you don’t need any previous experience or knowledge. Just check a single site near where you live once a year in May and report the result online.

water vole
Water vole eating fools watercress © 2015 Jo Cartmell

You can also report a one-off sighting.

Have a look at our 4 minute video Quick Guide to Water voles to learn more about them and how to distinguish them from rats.

UPDATE (23 May 2016)

The second year of the survey is now underway and the results for the first year survey are in and are discussed on the PTES website here.